Thursday, August 27, 2009

Fault finding attitude

While progressing in this human birth, I realize there are many bad qualities I have- for example I am narrow minded, selfish, greedy, impatient, in-tolerant, disrespectful at times. As soon I realize my mistakes I try to correct it. For example, if I had been narow minded, I was happy that way till I realized it. And as I realize I fantazise telling others about the right way, and at the same time when I see someone being narrow minded, I start pondering about his faults.

This has been happening not just with one thing, but anything I learn. When I try to lower my pride, I start finding faults in others who keep a big pride. When I try to be compassionate, I start finding faults in others who are not. When I want to proceed on the path to dharma, I start finding fault in others who do not realize that path to Dharma is good.

So it seems it is one step front and one step back. One step front, because I found something good and corrected myself, and one step back because I start finding fault in others. So overall there is no progress.

I think I can get rid of it only once I have love for all living beings and start looking them as a living being, and have compassion for their faults. I do not know when I would be able to achieve such state.
(Related quality in Jainism: Samyakdrishti has a quality 'Upguhan' which means not looking at fault of others.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

very true, I agree with your post completely. I think comparative attitude is a big trouble which got plugged into human as a sanskaar.

Jinendra Varni JI also talked about this "sva-dosh darshan" and "par-gun darshan" in one his lecture that I started listening based on your suggestion.

nidhi said...

where can one find talks of jinendra varni ji in audio form

Shrish Jain said...

here: http://library.jain.org/1.Pravachan/Saint_JinendraVarniJi/

Shrish Jain said...

Here is more to it:


दूसरो में दोष ना देखे

"दूसरो में जो दोष दिखाई देते हैं, सचमुच में इसका मुख्य कारण हमारे चित्त की दुषित-वृत्ति ही है। अपने चित्त को निर्दोष बनाया, कि संसार में दोषी दिखेंगे ही नहीं" - - क्षुल्लक शीतल सागर जी, गुरू महावीर कीर्ति जी, पुस्तक- सुखानुभव की तरंगे पृष्ठ ४

दूसरो के दोष देखकर वास्तव में हम अपना ही चित्त दुषित करते हैं। हम बिना किसी कारण के अपने को ही दुखी करते हैं। जैसे हम अच्छी जगह घूमने जाये तो खुश होते हैं, और बेकार जगह जायें तो दुखी होते हैं। वैसे ही हम दूसरो के गुण देखे तो प्रसन्न होते हैं, और दूसरो के दोष देखे तो अपने को ही बरबाद करते हैं।

हम दूसरो को देखें तो उसके अवगुणो को उसके कर्मो का उदय जाने। जैसे कोई व्यक्ति अपनी बहुत बढ़ाई करता हो, तो अपने मन में ख्याल आ जाता है कि ये तो बढा घमण्डी है। इसमें हम उस व्यक्ति के घमण्ड को उसके कर्मो का उदय जाने। वास्तव में उसकी आत्मा तो हमारी आत्मा जैसे ज्ञान स्वरूपी ही है, इसलिये आत्मा में दोष तो निकाल नहीं सकते। और जो कर्म है उसके उदय से घमण्ड, जो कि आत्मिक विभाव है, हो रहा है। यह कर्म पुदगल है, इसलिये इसमें हम क्या दोष निकाले। इसी तरह उसका जो अज्ञान है जिसकी वजह से उसे अपना घमण्ड गलत नहीं दिखता, वो भी कर्मजनित है।

इस प्रकार जैसे हम खुद में भेदज्ञान करते हैं, वैसे दूसरे में भी आत्मतत्व और कर्म में भेद करके तत्वदृष्टि से देखेंगे तो उसके दोष दोष नहीं देखेंगे। अभी तक हम उसे एक मनुष्य देखते थे, अब वो हमें- आत्मा, कर्म, शरीर का एक पिण्ड दिखाई पङता है। और इस भेद के पता पङते ही जो दृष्टि दोष देखने वाली थी, वो भी समाप्त हो जाती थी। शरीर को हम दोष दे नहीं सकते। आत्मा हमारे जैसी ज्ञान स्वभावी है- इसलिये वो भी दोषी नहीं। और कर्म पुदगल हैं - उन पर भी क्या दोष दे।

वास्तव में पूरा जगत निर्दोष है। सब अपने अपने कर्म उदय के अनुसार न्यायगत नियमों से अनन्त काल से इस जगत में गोते खा रहें हैं। इस प्रकृति के न्यायपूर्ण जगत में कोई दोषी है ही नहीं।

Unknown said...

Very true I same is happning with me...will try to correct myself on this aspect..

मैं किसी को छूता ही नहीं

वास्तविक जगत और जो जगत हमें दिखाई देता है उसमें अन्तर है। जो हमें दिखता है, वो इन्द्रिय से दिखता है और इन्द्रियों की अपनी सीमितता है। और जो ...